Director, Pesticide Action Network (PAN) India & Trustee of Thanal
Started environmental activism as a student of Professor John C Jacob in 1978 as member of Zoological Club of Payyannur College, Kerala. Continued as one of the student volunteers in the save Silent Valley struggle and later engaged in the Environment Education and organizing in Nature Clubs. Since 1983 has been fulltime activist in the environment and wildlife sector. Member of several environmental groups in Kerala. Founder of THANAL and has been active in the environment research and education activities for three decades with rich experience.
- B.Sc Zoology , Calicut University, 1983
- Bed Natural science , Manglore University 1985
- MA . Sociology , Calicut University, 1988
Successfully participated in several Certificate and Diploma courses and training in Environment and Nature Education, Biodiversity, Conservation and Wildlife management at National and Regional institutions from 1983 to 1996.
- Kerala State Education Officer of WWF India for nine years from 1988 based at Thiruvananthapuram organizing nature Clubs and teacher training for Environment education 1988 - 1996.
- Programme Officer of Tiger Conservation Project at High Range Wild life and Environment Protection Association, Munnar, Idukki. 1997 -1998
- Documented and compiled the Marine Turtle conservation in Kerala cost by people and worked to strengthen the community based efforts. Compiled and submitted original reports separately for Wild Life Institute, Dehradun, Kerala Forest Department, Centre for Development Thiruvananthapuram during 1998 – 2002
- Executive Director Thanal, Thiruvananthapuram engaged Policy Research and advocacy on Chemical safety, special emphasis on waste and pesticides impact on environment and people. Engaged in campaign on Zerowaste, Campaign to ban Endosulfan 2003- 2011.
- Director Pesticide Action Network India from 2012 onwards
- Chair and Director of Pesticide Action Network India a newly formed national organization under Pesticide Action Network Asia and the Pacific. (pan-india.org )
- Trustee and board member of Thanal, directly associated with Zerowaste Campaign, Pesticide and environment health research and monitoring and Organic farming.(thanal.co.in)
- Engaged in International Advocacy for Chemical safety with special focus on Persistent Organic Pollutants, waste management, pesticide safety, biodiversity based ecological agriculture, food sovereignty, and green livelihoods. Since 2000 closely observing the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Pollutants representing Thanal. (http://chm.pops.int/). Visited over 30 Countries and delivered talks on the subject of POPs , Pesticides, Zerowaste, Environment health and justice.
- Steering committee member of the International POPs Elimination Network ipen.org
- Steering Committee member Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives no-burn.org
- Steering Committee Member and Co chair Pesticide Task Force, Pesticide Action Network Asia and the Pacific panap.net
- Member State Tourism Advisory Board Kerala, Constituted by Government of Kerala
- Member Endosulfan Victims Remediation Cell, Constituted by Government of Kerala
- Expert Resource Person for Training Programme on Food Safety for Food Business Operators in Kerala , Food Safety Commissioner , Kerala
Meetings and advocacy work for environment (pesticides and waste)
- 2000 March Bon, Germany POPs convention Intergovernmental negotiating committee 4 - Seeking information on endosulfan and human health
- 2000 July Bangkok launch meeting for forming “waste not Asia” WNA coalition “Zerowaste Kovalam” idea developed from this meeting.
- 2000 December Johannesburg - Participated in the founding meeting of Global Alliance for Incineration Alternatives (GAIA)
- 2000 December Johannesburg POPs convention Intergovernmental negotiating committee 5 Johannesburg Final Discussion on the convention
- 2001 May, Stockholm , Sweden - for witnessing signing of Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants.
- 2002 Geneva , Switzerland - POPs convention Intergovernmental negotiating committee 6
- 2002 Launched International advocacy for Global Ban on Endosulfan in the context of Stockholm convention.
- 2003 Geneva , Switzerland - POPs convention Intergovernmental negotiating committee 7
- 2004 Bangkok , Thailand - IFCS Intergovernmental forum IV, Bangkok
- 2005 Uruguay - Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. First Conference of Parties (COP1)
- 2006 Geneva , Switzerland - Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. COP 2
- 2006 February Dubai, First session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM1)
- 2007 Dakar, Senegal - Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants.COP3
- 2008 Bali, Indonesia_ - Basel convention High Level segment speech on waste management in the Conference of Parties
- 2009 May Geneva, Switzerland - Second session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM2)
- 2009 Geneva , Switzerland Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. COP4
- 2010 Geneva , Switzerland October POPRC
- 2011 Geneva , Switzerland Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. COP5
- 2012 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Toxic free future summit in connection with RIO+20.
- 2012 Nairobi, Kenya. Third session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM3)
- 2013 Geneva , Switzerland Ordinary and extraordinary meetings of the conferences of the parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm conventions
- 2013 Penang, Malaysia. PANAP Congress "Empowering Communities, Protecting the Environment and Building Sustainable Livelihoods".
- 2014 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Fourth Asia-Pacific regional meeting on the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM)
- 2014 Geneva , Switzerland SAICM 2nd meeting of the Open-ended Working Group, Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management
- 2015 Geneva, Switzerland Ordinary and extraordinary meetings of the conferences of the parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm conventions.